Saturday, August 30, 2008

Folk Dance Withdrawals...


I have been having some severe folk dance withdrawals. Thomas goes to practice 12 hours a day and I sit on my rump at home with the cat all day. This will soon change when I become busy with school and work next week, however, it has made the transition to a life without dancing extra hard. I have gone to some rehearsals and have helped with some teaching here and there but it just kind of makes me sad. It is hard to leave such a big part of your life behind. Thomas, however, has been enjoying the new team and new dances. The team has learned a new Polish sweet taught by Polish choreographers, an Irish suite, an Israeli dance, and some Hungarian numbers, among others. I will begin learning the ropes as the stage manager soon and will need to find my niche as a techie.

Now that I am done dancing I realize more than every how very grateful I am to have been a member of such a stellar company that has provided numerous life changing opportunities. My appreciation for culture and my testimony have grown more than can be verbalized over the last five years! It has been a pleasure to dance and travel with Thomas and I will never forget our experiences!


7 comments:

Alli said...

I'm kinda bummed that I never got to see you guys dance. Sure, you may have a video of it, but it's COMPLETELY different live and way better, too. Thanks for letting me know 'bout the blog!

Anonymous said...

Love the hat. Transitions are hard and dancing was such a big part of your life. I got tickets to World of Dance for Friday night. I hope we see you there.
Aunt Susan

shawnajctenney.blogspot.com said...

Oh, I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I totally know what you are going through. I spent so much time at ballet in rehearsals especially when I was in Mountain West Ballet. Then I went to UVSC, and I had ballet every day and I was in the Nutcracker, but it just wasn't the same. Then I realized I either needed to devote my life to dancing, or do other things like concentrate on my major- art. It was so hard for me to quit. I still have dreams all the time about going back to ballet. When I quit, I felt so sorry for myself, I had to go out and buy myself a ballet Barbie. It makes it even harder for you that Thomas is still dancing for hours every day and coming home and telling you about it. I really can imagine how you feel. I hope things get better when you get busy with school work.

Love ya, Shawna

Ashley said...

What you have a blog!!! I'm so excited I found you through Molly's. It looks like you are doing awesome! Sorry you're going through dancers withdrawl. Hope you are doing great!

Erin said...

Sad! I hate when good things end...but get excited cause as of tomorrow the rat race begins

@emllewellyn said...

Normally I'd hate people like you for being so beautiful. It's a good thing I like you, so I don't have to hate you.

PS. Sometimes I miss folk dance too. Mostly I just miss folk dancing with folks like you. Who are beautiful.

M-Z-T said...

Hey cute stuff. Believe me, I know EXACTLY what it is you're going through. . . .

I can help in the techie department though! You'll do great.