Sunday, November 22, 2009

Throwing in the Towel

I don't understand how this little helpless blob can mysteriously get from one side of the crib facing one way, to the other end facing upside down with both fat legs stuck in the slats. (To view this picture click here.) Pathetic. At least this time she was sleeping happily when I found her. The last few times I was awoken in the night to her screaming in pain and totally stuck. After much thought I finally gave in and put the crib bumpers in. My doctor says they are a SIDS no-no but at this point I would rather that my child not break her legs, thank you, than decrease the risk of SIDS by 1 trillionth of a percent. Sigh.


5 comments:

shawnajctenney.blogspot.com said...

I know! Seriously!! There's no way to win here!

Amber said...

We have used bumper pads the whole time that Makenna has been in her crib, even though we knew it was a "no, no". I was a little worried at first, but I just felt like it couldn't be comfortable to have either her arms and legs stuck out the slats, or have her head up against them. You just have to do what works for you, and Brinley.

Erin said...

Hayden's a bumper cribbed baby too- I just check on her often...she too loved to stick her legs through the bars and it scared me more!

M-Z-T said...

There are bumper pads that are "sids" friendly. They are more breathable/allow air to flow through. Try taking a look at that.

Megan said...

I left the bumper on for Matilda, too. She would only sleep swaddled until she was about 9 months old, so she didn't move around a lot anyway. By the time she wanted more freedom when she slept, I realized she could help herself out enough so I never worried about her. I finally took out the bumper when she realized she could pull it down and look around through the slats. With all the things I allow with Tilly, I think some mothers would have a heart attack.